Get Lucky

The University @ Buffalo Center for the Arts is an unbelievable place to see a concert. I didn't know that until last night.

My love affair with all music performed by Mark Knopfler has continued for the past 35 years or so. It started with Dire Straits, continued on through every single one of his great solo albums. It peaked last night.

For one reason or another I felt weird entering the hall last night. Knopfler was the last act that I really wanted to see in concert, but on a Wednesday night, feeling beat down, with a crowd of people who all had grey in their hair? How good could it be? Well, as Knopfler himself might say you get lucky now and then.

The first song that ever captured me as a fan of Dire Straits was Romeo & Juliet. Knopfler, sitting on a stool, because he can barely move after a motorcycle accident of a few years ago, sang it out.

And I can't do the talks, like they talk on the tv
And I can't do the love songs like the way their meant to be
I can't do everything, but I'll do anything for you
I can't do anything except be in love with you.


"Holy shit," my brother John said as Knopfler's guitar wailed.

Effortless. Masterful. Fantastic.

And the longer I sat there listening, the longer I wanted the concert to go. I honestly would have sat there through the night listening to the music.

"Play every song you ever wrote!" I wanted to yell out.

And during the show, I thought of all things lost and gained in the 30+ years of listening to the music that defines my life. I thought of watching it with my brother and lamented the fact that I wasn't watching it with every single person I've ever loved.

And now the sun's gone to hell
and the moon's riding high


Knopfler sang in Brothers in Arms and I nearly cried because I've spent 14months believing the sun has gone to hell.

But I only slept a few hours last night because I can't help but know I was in the presence of pure brilliance in that theatre.

Yeah, his voice cracks, and he can't move around. Sure we all have grey hair, and a bigger belly, but man, I tell you, if there are better guitar players in the world, I haven't heard them yet.

You get lucky now and then.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty