Baby Fever

My wife invited a visitor over for a sleepover and at just about seven o'clock on Friday night our newborn great niece, Layla, was dropped by the house with a bag filled with extra diapers. Despite the fact that she was there and I was there she had a better chance of changing my diaper than I did hers.

Not that I'm not happy for my niece and nephew, who now have two small children, and need a night of peace every now and then, but I've officially closed the door on all things baby.

"Oh, I want one," Kathy cooed as she held the baby out for my inspection. "Isn't she beautiful? Can we have another one? Do you want to hold her?"

"First of all, she's beautiful; secondly, you're spade, we can't have another one, thirdly if by some miracle you did become pregnant, I'd be in the garage looking for a low-hanging beam; and lastly, I don't want to hold her because babies scare me."

Together with my buddy John we began a discussion of an old Nicholsan-Streep movie where Nicholsan becomes homeless after losing his senses after dropping his own child. Sam helped figure out that the movie was Ironweed.

"Can you imagine anyone ever hurting a baby?" Kathy asked. She held the baby up for my inspection once more.

"All babies look like Winston Churchill," I said. (Thanks for the line John)."But no, I can't imagine anyone ever hurting a baby."

But it happens every day. Last night they discovered the remains of a baby tossed from a bridge in the New York area. It's mind-blowing, actually.

So, how'd it all work out?

I woke nice and early again on Saturday, but was confined to my room as Kathy was discovered sleeping on the couch, near enough to hear the baby sleeping in the next room. By eight o'clock she shared the experience.

"I don't want another baby," she said. "Layla was up at ten to five. I slept about four hours last night."

"So the fever's cured?" I asked.

"Yeah, but babies are just so beautiful," she answered.

I didn't say it, but they are even more beautiful when they're waking up a couple of other people in the middle of the night.

Our babies are now wrapped in snuggies eating twelve meals a day. We've done the time.

Comments

Corleone said…
Some of the cuteness is being replaced by funny smells, too!
Kathy is a natural...you can always tell good people when they are good with babies.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie