Power

Thank God I'm not the governor. What an idiot! I was actually shocked by the story, but probably shouldn't have been. With great power comes great stupidity.

Of course, the backlash is that we will now hear every sordid detail. I was listening to Barbara Walters radio show yesterday and she was concerned with whether or not Spitzer's wife should forgiuve him. So, I tried the experiment at home.

"Would you forgive me if I paid four grand for a prostitute?" I asked my wife.

"Would you forgive me, if I did?" she shot back.

"Male or female?" I asked.

My wife rolled her eyes and I had my answer. Of course, you can not forgive such betrayal if your marriage is one that is based on trust and respect. I don't want to pry into Spitzer's situation, but it seems to me like he's in more hot water with his spouse than the voting public.

Yet what can possibly drive you to such activity? I'm reading a very thought-provoking book about relationships - called the Dying Animal - by Phillip Roth. He theorizes that people are not fit to be tied into another human being. He explains that there are freedoms that we all need and strive for and that perhaps it isn't normal to be committed. I don't buy it.

It seems to me that love, respect and trust are decisions - yes, in a relationship we all hope and pray that they are mutual decisions - yet think of the three teenage daughters presumably devastated by the governor's decision-making when on the road.

My take on road travel - work until you can't work anymore (there must have been something he could have been doing), watch a couple of episodes of Drew Carey, take a shower - alone, and hit the hay.

I bet the governor wished he'd taken my advice on that one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie