"Got a Dollar in my pocket...

.... and there ain't a cloud up above."

Of course, that is a Springsteen line from "All that Heaven Will Allow."

I thought of it a lot today as I listened to the backlash from the Spitzer scandal. I thought of it because I was trying to put some sort of positive spin on what I was hearing.

A couple of radio hosts were saying that every man cheats on his marriage. I believe that the exact quote was something like, "Sixty percent of marriages end in divorce, and the other forty percent of the men are miserable and cheat."

My feelings on the matter are contained in previous posts. I don't think anyone has the right to cheat. I consider it disgraceful. Of course people make mistakes, but not over ten years time. Once might constitute a mistake or a lack of judgement. One hundred times is a whole 'nother thing.

A few years back, my father went into the hospital complaining of chest pains. Every one of his children within a hundred mile-radius showed up, and watched as Dad went through test after test. From his spot in the bed, Dad motioned me over. "My wallet is over there," he said. "Keep an eye on it."

I grabbed the wallet and for some reason opened it. There was a single dollar bill in it. "What are you? Six-years-old?" I asked, laughing. "My sons have more money than you."

My father laughed along.

"Where's your money?" I asked.

"I've spent it on all of you," he said. "Six kids through college, cars, clothes, and food. Where's my money?"

As I thought about the selfish act of the Governor, I also thought about the unselfish man with the single dollar in his wallet. Thankfully, he only stayed a day in the hospital. I think I even paid for his television for his overnight stay.

Don't tell me that all men cheat or that all men are evil. My father gave up every day of his life for his kids. That is the thought I carry with me as I think of Spitzer and his poor wife and kids.

It doesn't have to be that way, and it shouldn't have been.

Comments

The timing of this is unbelievable... that's all I can say. I started lumping all men into a category because of men like Spitzer and some husband's we know, and then you go and bring up dad. I think of you and all our brothers, and Chuck when I get down about men & cheating and realize not all men are cheaters. Sad thing though... I'm related to the ones that aren't! I guess I won't have trouble finding a married man to date...
deafjeff said…
Carrie, you aren't related to me.
deafjeff said…
come on slim slip me in man, I'll make it up to you somehow, I can't be late I got a date....

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie