Early to Rise

When I was growing up, weekend mornings weren't all that they could be. My father used to rile us up and out of bed to start work on one project or another. I can distinctly remember what it felt like to be chased out of bed, wondering why we couldn't get the work done on our own schedule.

The reason, of course, was because my father was an early-riser. I'm not talking 6 AM early either. Very often he'd get out of bed around three and sit at the kitchen table, drinking coffee, smoking cigarettes, playing cards, and plotting his day - and as it turned out - ours too.

I remember thinking that when I made the rules, it would all be different. Everyone would stay up until 3 AM and sleep until noon. Life would be grand.

It didn't turn out that way. I have one kid who likes to stay in bed on the weekends, and as he sleeps, I struggle with the desire to rip him out of bed and put him to work. I haven't done it to him, yet, but it probably is on the way. There's no way he sleeps until noon though.

These days, during the week, I am in bed by nine and I read until 10. A reckless workday evening has me asleep by 10:30. I'm always up and out by 7. I'm usually energized, and happy.

Yet there are those around here who will remain nameless (Kathy and Matt) who struggle to shake the cobwebs. Kathy needs a half-gallon of coffee - and Matt is just plain miserable in the morning. Saying "hello" will get you a tongue-lashing.

Still there is the old adage to consider - "Early to bed and early to rise will make you healthy, wealthy and wise."

I'm relatively healthy, certainly not wealthy, and if you ask those that I'm considering awaking, not truly wise.

Comments

yankeefan said…
really a half-gallon - it's more like 3 cups and i'm usually moving after 2. leave matt alone he is a growing boy and if he doesn't get enough rest he will be short.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie