After the Fire

As I was graduating college one of the big songs out was by Roger Daltrey of the Who - it was called "After the Fire...the Fire Still Burns."

My group of friends used the song as a rallying cry because we wanted to stay in touch, keep our unbelievable connections intact, and burn on together as friends. (Yes, we were drunk when we sang it).

In any regard I heard a guy speaking about fire the other day. He said we should all be candles. When we pass our flame to another candle, we don't lose anything in the translation.

Not sure I want to be a candle, but it got me thinking. I have left hundreds of friends by the side of the road. It isn't my fault, and I certainly would remain friends with most of those people if situations had dictated, but time and responsibilities do get in the way.

My current circle of friends includes two dogs, three young boys, my wife, a couple of drinking buddies, my brothers and sisters, a few friends from high school, two or three college buddies.

Everyone else has sort of faded into my memories. Certainly, I think of them all now and again, but it never goes much past a quick phone call and a few fat jokes.

Yet there were days when I definitely felt as if I passed my flame without too much lost in the translation.

Springsteen, of course, paid tribute to old friends in his song Blood Brothers. I have one buddy who immediately springs to mind when I mention the lyrics.

"I'll keep moving through the dark, with you in my heart, my blood brother."

Perhaps that's enough to keep the fire burning.

Comments

nice sentiment...

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty