The Box of Books


For the 17th time I have received my box of books.

It’s still a pretty cool feeling, but my emotional state of it has certainly changed.

When I broke the seal yesterday, I thought:

“Don’t take it for granted.”

I’ve written a LOT in the last five or so years. Most of the books are sitting on my computer.

I went with this particular title because I wanted to bring some laughter to my readers lives and I also wanted to inspire them to enjoy their lives.

It’s funny, but I actually got the idea for the lite story when we were watching the mini-series, ‘The Maid’.

It was a well-done show about a young woman who was battling to just keep her head above water. She would tabulate how much money she had before she bought a candy bar.

She was off to work every day and despite the fact that she hustled, struggled, cried and battled…

…it was sad.

“There are so many people living that way,” I said.

I learned a long, long time ago that I can’t do a whole hell of a lot to change the world…

…it’s funny, but when you’re young you think that’s possible.

But I also learned, (mostly through reading) that a good story can bring a bit of joy and introspection.

On Saturday, a work friend of mine texted me.

He’d just finished the book - he read it in one sitting - which can be done with this story.

He told me that he laughed, and it made him reflect on his own life, and that it inspired him.

BINGO!

He’s who I thought about when I opened the box.

And here’s the thing, it is a breezy read, but I kind of hid a chapter there that served as the bottom line on living a life that isn’t all misery…

…even as one struggles.

We all have it inside of ourselves to enjoy the day in front of us.

I’m exposed in this book!

All the dumb shit I’ve done (well, a lot of it) is now on record.

But I did present it…

…not as a struggle…

…but as something that I hope you have fun with.

And that’s what a writer thinks of when he opens the box.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie

Eyes on the Horizon