Tarnished Legacy


I grew up in the 70’s.

Pete Rose was everywhere as an example of how to play baseball.

‘Charlie Hustle’ is one of the game’s great nicknames and Rose was on those great Reds teams in the mid-70’s. Me and a couple of buddies can still recite the lineup for those teams.

He was also on the Phillies team that won in 1980.

The all-time hit leader, and I must admit that when he had the 44 game hit streak, I was rooting for him to get even closer.

And then he became a manager and the Reds brought him back, but things went south.

His gambling was a problem. He bet games that the team he was managing was involved in.

He got kicked out, and here’s the thing - he AGREED to the lifetime ban because he didn’t want his sins to come to light.

There were more disturbing stories about Pete.

He showed up at Cooperstown on hall of fame weekend each year and set up a table next to the museum where he sold his autograph.

When I heard the news, I thought of Rose as he’s pictured above.

Kind of felt bummed about another lost member of my youth.

He certainly was always in the spotlight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie

Eyes on the Horizon