Steinbeck

Sometimes people will ask me at a writing event who my favorite author is.

Easy.

Steinbeck.

Then they'll ask which book.

Easy.

East of Eden.

Here's why:

And this I believe; that the free exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in this world.

And this I would fight for; for the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected.

And this I must fight against; any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual.

This is what I am and what I am about.

I can understand why a system built on a pattern must try to destroy the free mind, for this is one thing which can by inspection destroy such a system.

Surely I can understand this, and I hate it and I will fight against it to preserve the one thing that separates us from the uncreative beasts.

If the glory can be killed, we are lost.


Keep that free, exploring mind.

It's valuable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie