Royal Treatment


I know for a fact that my sons are going to remember watching the 2009 World Series as the Yankees won it all for the 27th time.

I understand that because for years and years I have cherished the memories of watching the Yankees-Royals games of the late 1970's. I distinctly recall that the Yanks were down in Game 5 when Chambliss hit the homer that propelled them to the World Series.

Dad made a huge sandwich for me and we ate it around midnight, despite the fact that there was school the next day, and we were so fired up.

I kept thinking about that as I walked into Royals Stadium in Kansas City.

George Brett.

Frank White.

Hal McRae.

I hated those teams, but I sort of liked them too.

Then there was the water fountain.

When I was a kid I thought it was just the neatest thing.

How did they do it?

Water flowing in the outfield?

And then Reggie hit one in there.

Life was good.

During the game on Monday night...I was seated alone...in the 2nd row right by first base...I thought of all those nights spent sharing time with Dad and my brothers.

An elderly couple was seated in row 1. When I mentioned something about Buffalo, and noticing my Yankee cap, the woman turned to face me.

The game was tied at 1.

"I'm so nervous," she whispered. "My husband really wants the Yankees to win."

She was whispering so that the Royals fans around us didn't care about either me or her husband.

The man couldn't even turn to face me. In fact, it almost looked as if he were asleep. He had to be at least 85 years old.

"He just loves them so," she said. "He thinks this is our last chance to see them play."

I felt bad for the woman.

Worse for the man.

"Don't worry," I whispered back. "The Yankees don't lose when I show up."

The Yanks scored four runs in the 6th inning and the woman turned to me.

"You're a lucky charm," she said.

Then her husband turned ever so slowly in his seat.

He gave me a really slow thumbs up.

Royal treatment.

For all of us.

What a great night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty