ALS Ice Challenge

So...have you watched your friends dump buckets of ice water over their heads?

I believe that I've seen at least 15 people do it...and it's all pretty funny, actually.

Until you're nominated.

And I was.

But instead of doing it...I decided to make the donation to ALS.

Now, I'm not a hater and I am certainly not afraid of getting cold as the water drenches me...I just thought 'I'd rather not do that.'

So I won't.

But the main thing is that there are a lot of people across the land who are willing to do all sorts of things in the name of treating a disease.

Every single year there are at least 5 events for Breast Cancer research.

The baseball players use pink bats and MLB makes a healthy donation.

The football players wear pink cleats and armbands and the NFL donates 3% of the millions raised there...and they put the rest in their pocket.

And I don't know what to think of all the raising money anymore.

Are all the people dumping ice over their head making the donation?

Where does the money go?

Are we making any progress?

The cynic in me wonders about all that cash raised in the name of breast cancer research...and hopefully it is being spent the right way...but sometimes I wonder.

Yet charity has always been about what it feels like to make the donation...you can't wonder..it'll drive you crazy...giving to a charity is good for the heart.

The rest can be dismissed, I suppose, but people like to know they've helped.

I've always considered the adopt a kid in Africa deal...to put your money in and talk to someone, on a regular basis, who really needed help.

That's kinda' cool.

But all across this great land ice will be dumped over the heads of man, woman and child and perhaps someone will actually think about what ALS does to a person as it destroys that human being.

And maybe someday it will no longer be a threat.

Wouldn't that be cool (so to speak) if it were wiped off the face of the planet because someone had an idea that caught fire across the land and doused the disease because everyone got together and dumped cold water?

Yep.

That'd be great.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie