Funny Man


Robin Williams always had a special place in my heart because I saw him at a concert that was actually a benefit for Neil Young's kid. The concert was in October of 1986 and it featured Springsteen, of course, in Mountain View, California.

I saw the concert with my brother Jim and we often talk about that night because it was such a great show - Neil Young, Tom Petty, Glen Frye, Nils Lofgren, Crosby, Stills & Nash, Bruce,

And Robin Williams.

I recall that he spoke of giving up drinking because "you have to when you wake up naked on the hood of your car with your own keys stuffed in your ass."

He went off, of course, and we laughed really hard. I also recall telling Jim that I missed half the jokes because I was laughing too much.

Just a brilliant dude.

And of course, we will never know the depths of his depression. He never showed it. He would make jokes about it, but it turned out not to be funny at all.

And you wonder about all the comics who seem to be lost in the brilliance of their own minds.

Yet it's more than that.

Townsend, Keith Richards, Bruce, Lennon...

...they all talked about crippling depression.

I think we all can get down, from time to time. I certainly do it and it comes without warning. I've always liked to ride it out. I remember thinking that I write better when I'm really up or really down.

But I don't think I've ever sunk quite so low.

I love life.

I get depressed when someone says, "the comet won't come around again until 2075," and I feel bad that I won't be around to see it.

In other words...I cherish the days I've received.

So in that respect, I don't get it.

And I don't know how I'd ever leave my children in such a manner.

But I've never been that low...so I won't understand.

Yet Robin Williams left his mark...there's no doubt about that...a brilliant comic mind...a very giving dude as well.

None of us know him personally, of course, but he added something to our lives.

I hope he found some peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie