Obamacare

So we had the court battle and it seems that the healthcare that was proposed is going to go through after all, right?

Should we all take a few moments to debate this? There certainly doesn't seem to be enough misinformation out there about it now.

Can we agree on one thing?

That what we have had up to this point is pretty much a disaster?

I've been stuck in the medical vortex all year long. The doctor wants to treat you as he knows how, but he doesn't do it because he's afraid that the insurance company will shoot him down, and he is also half-assed afraid that if he makes a decision that somehow costs you even more, you'll sue his ass.

Then there is the cost of everything. A bottle of pills can cost thousands of dollars.

Explain that to me. They cost 8 bucks to make and they charge you a grand.

We will always have people who can't afford to pay their own way. That has and always will be a problem.

It's unsolvable. For hundreds of years now there has been about 8% of the population who want to live on the system. There are people out there who make a career out of wringing every single nickel out of a system that was designed to help those who actually do need help.

We can't stop it. We won't stop it. For every fraud case we find there will be four more behind it. No one can wiggle their nose and wish away the bad guys.

Yet what gets me about it, and what I imagine when my heart is really bleeding is a man who has a sick kid, no chance at health insurance, and no way to save the kid without robbing something.

The guy may not want the handout. He may have worked every single day of his life. He may have just been priced out of the game.

Should he not be able to save his kid?

I know precious little about the real workings of the plan that just was upheld. I've read the bullet points, of course. I've tried to listen to some of the arguments against, but sometimes I can't separate fact from fiction because of hidden agendas, and not so hidden agendas.

I understand that there will be change.

Yeah, change.

To a broken system.

I also understand that they've been trying to pass something since FDR...Republican and Democrat alike.

Nixon couldn't get it done. Clinton either. All the plans seemed flawed.

Millions believe the new plan is flawed too.

But so was the old way, wasn't it?

As long as I'm wiggling my nose maybe we can have intelligent discourse on it as it plays out and we see how it works or how it doesn't. Back and forth, hand in hand.

Yeah, like I've said.

I can't wiggle my nose and make wishes come true.

Perhaps it won't all work. Maybe millions more will have options. We might have to scrap the whole freaking thing somewhere down the line, but one thing raises hope in my heart.

We do seem to be trying.

At least I hope so.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie