Depressed? Who the Hell Isn't?

So you fired up about the Olympics?

Me neither.

Have you read about that actress that cheated on her boyfriend by making out in a car with the guy who directed the movie?

Must be an a ton of fun to be totally ashamed in front of the entire country.

He's better off.

Paterno's statue came down, huh?

I honestly felt real bad for his kids who are out there trying to salvage the respect that his father built through the years.

I believe that's a lost cause.

Helluva' lesson in there. All the good you do is quickly forgotten when you spend years being dumb. He was way too egotistical to be a legend.

Never mind a statue.

Jesus deserved a statue. He didn't get it. They hung him instead.

Yet the news that I was most drawn to this week was the New Yorker article about Bruce Springsteen.

It's a great, great article.

I know most of the story, of course. Bruce's Dad suffered from depression, and he made Bruce's early life a living hell. Bruce tried his best to return the favor by playing his guitar really loud and growing out his hair.

Bruce also hit it real big, against all odds, after his parents left him on the East Coast and moved out West.

But what got me about the article was the story of Bruce's depression.

After he hit it big.

Going to the concerts and listening to the songs and reading the lyrics I've always been so sure that Bruce was on top of the world. Yeah, he talks about a lot of heady things. Certainly his written words had drifted to the dark side, but he thought about suicide????

Say it isn't so.

"It's a surprising article," I said to my great sister-in-law Dana.

"Just proves that he's human," Dana said.

"Yeah, that's what's surprising," I answered.

But loneliness comes in all forms. As a writer I get a lot of feedback...in this blog, and through the books. A lot of people will ask me if I'm in a bad mood because I rant a little.

Others think I'm actually a happy-go-lucky guy.

The truth is somewhere in between.

I should not have been so surprised by Bruce's down moods.

"He never took a drug in his life," I told my beautiful wife. "He was afraid that he would sink into a depression he couldn't get out of."

"Isn't that crazy?"

"Not really," Kathy said. "There's little doubt that all writers are a little weird."

Oh really now!

As someone who does follow the news and feels for those who suffer and then tries to make sense of it, I can tell you one thing:

Kathy is absolutely right.

As usual.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie