Cornell University

I’ve been to Cornell about fifty times through the years.

It’s a beautiful campus, and of course, it’s a highly regarded academic institution.

But it’s kids at college.

We had to lower the boom on the crane because students were climbing up a couple of hundred feet on the weekends.

Netting had to installed at the bridges where students were jumping to their deaths when the pressure of their grades was too much.

And yet, nothing prepared me for the story of the rape.

I hung around the frat houses when I was in college. I pledged at a house and a couple of weeks into the process I dropped out because one of the guys who was going to soon be ‘a brother’ spit tobacco juice into my face.

I stepped out of line, walked out the front door and had the pledge master chasing me down the street to try and talk me into coming back. I remember that conversation.

“We want you to make it,” the pledge master said. “It’s just what you have to go through. Couple of weeks and you’re in.”

“Done,” I said. “Want nothing to do with any of you.”

And I left. 

They tried to get me to return, but if you’re willing to treat people like shit, I don’t want anything to do with you.

And I saw some questionable behavior at some of the frat houses, and some involved drunk girls who were in really bad positions.

I often wonder about one night when ‘the brothers’ were behaving horrifically.

I didn’t know enough about what was happening to step in, but they were ringing a bell every few minutes.

“Boys will be boys” isn’t a solid plan in most cases.

I’ve heard people talking about how the attackers in the Cornell situation all have bright futures.

What about the poor woman they absolutely abused?

We have a government that is actively working to cover up a sexual abuse syndicate.

Not a great situation.

I’m due to visit Cornell again somewhere along the line.

It’s going to feel like a completely different place.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spicy!!!

Ten Years Burning Down the Road

Heart Heavy