Nineteen Under Par
I went to school at Gannon University.
I had a lot of friends on the golf team, and they decided to play in a memorial tournament at Whispering Woods in Erie.
Three all-American golfers and me!
Now, I’ve played in this foursome before, and it’s a lot of fun watching great golf up close.
This year, I wanted to participate.
I set up at the tee on a par 3 that was 178 yards away. A hole in one would win me free steak for a year.
I can eat a lot of steak.
I hit a great shot…
…that was about 6’ from all that steak.
The next golfer…
…put it within 3’.
“I couldn’t let you have that,” he said.
On the very next hole we were about 40 yards off the green following our drive.
I went first, and as I set up, my longtime buddy who routinely golfs around par said, ‘Hang on a second.’
Then he told me where to put the ball in my stance, and aimed at the spot on the green I needed to hit to put it close.
I hit the spot.
Holed it for an eagle.
And man, we laughed all day.
Four guys who’ve known one another for close to 50 years.
It was all worth it…
…but we wanted to win!
We are aware that some people use their pencil to chart a score in such a tournament.
We handed in our card.
2 eagles, 1 par and 15 birdies.
We won it.
I played right along with them, but man, I laughed at the length of a few of their drives.
Gannon Golden Knights!
Comments