Words to Live by

All of my life I've tried to read everything I can get my hands on. I can remember doing all of the book reports for all of my classmates back in high school, wondering how they could live their lives without books.

To this very night, I have read before heading off to sleep. I've read everything from Stephen King to Hemmingway, skipping back and forth, depending upon my mood. I currently have three half-read books near my bed, and will open one of them up and let the words comfort me.

As a writer a lot of people tell me of the books they are reading.They ask me what is the greatest book I've ever read - I can honestly answer East of Eden by Steinbeck although A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving isn't that far behind.

Yet, through the years there has been one simple phrase that has meant the world to me. It is a phrase written by a rock and roll star. They are simple words, that has become something of a crude prayer around my house. My children recognize the words as my motivational theme for them to stop whining and get on with their lives. My wife can finish the sentence for me, knowing that I've shut out the excuses in my mind.

John Mellencamp wrote the words and by singing them so forcefully he actually owes me money for a speeding ticket that I received as I sang along:

Days turn to minutes and minutes to memories
Life sweeps away the dreams that we have planned
You are young and you are the future
So suck it up and tough it out
And be the best you can

... And be the best you can.

Comments

Nice. I'll start reciting it to the kids - and myself - when I feel the sweeping of life flying by. I love that you have this blog!
Anonymous said…
I love A Prayer for Owen Meaney - the boy with the gravel voice.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie