Thanksgiving

Saw a news flash yesterday that politicized Thanksgiving, saying it was disrespectful to someone that we gather together, say thanks, and eat and drink until we reach the stage of throwing up. What's the problem?

Yes, perhaps we have too many freedoms, maybe we take it all for granted. Maybe we all misunderstand the basic principles behind the Holiday, and use it for ourselves. I'm sure that most families don't recreate the Pilgrim-Indian scene, but does that mean we are offending someone?

I don't know about you, but I certainly don't mean any disrespect when I'm reaching for the stuffing bowl again - my mother makes the best stuffing in the world, by the way- yes, I eat too much. I have too much fun. I look around just before dinner starts and say thank-you for my family, and the opportunity to live free. I watch my children move in for the turkey leg, and appreciate the fact that they are healthy. I look at the Lions game, toss back a beer, and understand that I was fortunate to be born in this country.

Then, just before I slip off to sleep for my nap during the Dallas game, I dream of more stuffing- when I don't feel as if the button off my pants is going to shoot across the room - and I say Thanks again. Thank you to the Pilgrims and to the Indians, and to our forefathers, and my own father and mother - thanks for mashed potatoes and thanks for the pie, thanks for the beer, and the sound of the announcers who are calling the game..... slowly, I drift to sleep, not offended at anyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie