Faces of the Dead at Five

I was never big on war. I can remember back to the 2nd grade when I asked the nun at my catholic grammer school if it was a sin if you killed someone during a war. I remember it only because she stuttered her way to an answer that didn't seriously register. I still am not sure of the answer to that question - call it Catholic guilt, or whatever, but I couldn't imagine being on the right end, or the wrong end of a gun.

I have nothing against guns- people seem to enjoy shooting them for relief. Hunting would probably appeal to me if I wasn't so busy reading and writing. I could help with the beer, at least.

The problem I have is seeing the faces of the young kids who die in war. Their love of country is certainly admirable. I am all for the troops and the spread of democracy. Every person should have the right to live free. I'm still sickened by 9/11 and I clearly recall how it made me feel - I was mostly ashamed to be a part of the human race - and it doesn't get any worse than that.

Yet, when I see the face of a young, dead soldier, my heart aches. Usually they're twenty-two or twenty-three. We've lost 32 in the Western New York area. The news anchor tells of of the feat of bravery, and someone calls him a hero. Losing your life is a high price for a three-minute mention on the local news, and the chance to be called a hero.

Of course, I understand that we are a free country because of men who sacrificed their lives. I am certainly as patriotic as the next guy, and perhaps I could respond if so confronted, but the faces of the dead, on the local news, tears me up, for one simple reason - someone courageous who loses their life is certainly a waste that we can't afford - I never truly figured it out, but I know one thing - I don't like war.

Comments

nmallen said…
I too felt ashamed as a human-being on 9/11 and you make a good point about the price for a three-minute mention on the news.

You have a good blog going here, Mr. Fazzolari! Keep up the great work

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie