A Shit Sandwich

As we golfed on Sunday the conversation swung to our aches and pains.

We are all pushing 60 so, of course, we all had something to say.

Then we chatted about our parents. Most of the crew didn’t have their parents still around, but they asked about my Mom.

“She’s healthy and happy,” I said, “Her memory is slipping though and that’s hard to take.”

“Isn’t it something?” My buddy asked. “We work hard, put up with all kinds of garbage, all for the privilege of back pain and eventually forgetting every freaking thing.”

I laughed.

“Like my Grandpa used to say, ‘ Life is just a shit sandwich.’”

That brought a laugh as well, but I’ve spent the first part of the week thinking about that conversation and how sometimes it does feel a little unfair.

But I suppose that there’s something fortunate about living a longer life.

Yeah. We’re gonna break down as time marches on and it seems like we’re putting forth a huge effort to try and get through it all.

Grandpa used his ‘shit sandwich’ reference a lot and I once asked him the secret of getting through it all and he said:

“Just eat the bread.”

Grandpa was a character.

So, not sure who needs to hear it:

“Just eat the bread.”



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie