Catching Up

So...deep breath...what's been happening out there?

1). The weather is still horrific here in the East. 36 degrees the other freaking morning. Frost on the windows. The dogs thought I was yelling at them after I had used my Tops card to scrape the ice...it freaking broke.

"It isn't supposed to be frosting in freaking May!" I yelled.

(Melky and Paris agreed).

2). What about Michael Pineda of the First-Place, 27-Time World Champion Greatest Franchise in the History of Organized Sports?

To backtrack...the Suck Sux...who have two pitchers who lather themselves in Vaseline and pine tar every single time they pitch...spotted pine tar on Pineda's palm a few starts ago.

Less than a week later, Pineda had it all over his neck.

The Suck Sux told on him, and Pineda was suspended.

And I may sound like a real homer here, but the Suck Sux telling was the real shame of the story. The use of pine tar, for grip, is pretty well accepted throughout the league.

Lester had it all over his palm in a World Series game.

Kenny Rogers had it in his hand when the Yankees lost to him a few years ago.

No one complained. I specifically remember Girardi saying after the Rogers game that it was for grip and grip alone and that he didn't have a problem with it.

Of course, Pineda slathering it on his neck might be a tad dumb, but the move there was for the Sux to send a message to the Yankees asking him to remove it. That's the thing to do. But they're in last place. The Yankees have been beating the piss out of them. They cried. That rule needs to be changed.

3). I haven't had to miss time with golf. (See weather reference), but I'm still not ready to play either. My damn feet are killing me...every single step hurts...and it's so frustrating to be older and seemingly unable to get my legs healthy. Just plain frustrating. I can't believe that even before turning 50 I'm wondering, "Did I take my nerve pill?"

4). So where are we most in trouble of breaking into war? Russia? North Korea? China? I really can't follow it anymore, and the political garbage truly bores the hell out of me. There are people on social media who speak with such hatred...and it isn't based on anything other than the (R) or the (D). Facts don't matter. It's all about the hate for the other side...and that's boring.

Hell, I don't even hate the Suck Sux that much!

5). The last month or so has been absolutely wonderful in the sports world because I'm sharing so much with the boys. I'd never follow the NBA or NHL other than a passing glance if it weren't for them...and each day we have something to share. There's nothing better than:

"Hey Dad, did you see this?"

Than they will show me a clip of a buzzer-beater or a great save or a vicious hit. Sam and me were catching a game between the Bulls and the Wizards the other day when it occurred to me:

There's an expiration date on being able to share things with the kids. Sooner or later they will be up and out and I will be watching alone.

(Damn! That's a depressing sentence!)

I'll be stuck watching Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper movies on a loop when it's just me and my beautiful wife!

Go Bulls!

Comments

John said…
"There's an expiration date on being able to share things with the kids." The best parenting line of advice ever written. Well done my friend!

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty