Perfect World

People often ask me how an idea for a new book hits me. 

It’s usually a lightning strike!

I started working on the book that will be my 20th published work after my oldest sister, Corinne, sent me a simple text:

“What’s up, Clit?”

It made me laugh, but it also made me come up with a new character, whose name happens to be ‘Clifford’.

That had to be his name so I could work through the opening chapter.

A story needs good characters.

I started with ‘Clifford’ and his sister, and then I thought about the Blizzard of ‘77 and how we spent those days. 

As a kid, I wondered how more than 25 people died in that storm.

The Blizzard kicks off the story of a group of friends, a love interest and playing on the high school basketball team.

Playing on the team in high school was the absolute best - we had a lot of fun - and one year we were good enough to make the playoffs.

So, now we had, a nickname, the blizzard and the basketball team.

I needed tension, and a memory played a part. 

Also, back when I was young, I marveled at the story of a man, facing a divorce, gave up half his home to his estranged wife.

He took the other half of the house down with an excavator.

I had enough to hand the story off to a half-dozen imaginary people…

…Off to the races!!

I started the story on November 13th.

I finished it, completely, by February 5th.

Instantly, I missed those characters (who became great friends)

And then I put it away.

This week, I sat down and read it as though I were reading someone else’s book.

I finished reading it just as my wife asked:

“What are you doing?”

“Just finished reading, ‘Perfect World’.

“Who wrote that?”

“Me.”

“When?” She asked.

I laughed.

“Well, what’s the verdict?” She asked.

“I think people are going to really like it,” I said.

At least I hope so.

Who would’ve ever dreamed I’d write 20 books?

Might as well go for 25!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spicy!!!

Ten Years Burning Down the Road

Heart Heavy