Bad Santa

My son was walking beside me when a young, black kid who works construction saw me and started laughing.

“What’s going on?” I said to the kid. “Why are you laughing at me?”

“‘Cause you’re a funny dude,” he said. “I was in your safety class, and you shocked me. I told the guy sitting next to me that you reminded me of Billy Bob as Bad Santa.”

“That’s the perfect description,” another guy standing nearby said. “You’re there for a safety class, and he gives us the Bad Santa talk.”

It was a high compliment, and as word got around, a lot of people seemed to agree that I have the old Billy Bob vibe when I speak.

And here’s the thing:

It’s a safety talk in front of a lot of grown men who have heard a review of the rules a lot of times.

About 30 years ago, I was sitting in a safety class that was being taught by a highly entertaining speaker. 

As that man spoke, (Bill Bord) I realized he was teaching us the same stuff but doing it in a way that I would remember for a long time.

💡 time.

“That’s how I have to do it,” I thought, and I spent a lot of years refining the ‘act’.

Billy Bob is one of my all-time favorite actors…

…so I’m good with it.

Bad Santa.

My son has called me that since we heard it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spicy!!!

Ten Years Burning Down the Road

Heart Heavy