Perfect World

I started writing on November 15th.

Just a solid first chapter that centered around my sister calling me by the nickname she has for me.

I started the story the day before the Blizzard of ‘77, and then included a story I’d heard, as a kid, about a man who’d taken his half of the house (during divorce proceedings) by using an excavator.

Just writing for writing’s sake, and a funny thing happened:

The characters took off.

By December 1st, I was all in.

Wrote into my phone, thinking about their lives. I knew I had something special because I was gifted the plot, and it held a message.

Something I had to say.

On Monday night, I went to sleep, knowing that I had to get out of bed around 5:00.

Woke up at 1:00 anyway because I had the final few pages that I needed.

I wrote them into my phone, and when I woke up, I wondered if what I’d written down out of a deep sleep was going to make any sense.

It did.

That afternoon, I typed the final few pages, and a book that I’d started writing on November 15th was completely done by February 10th.

About 60,000 words in less than 3 months.

I’ve been writing for decades…

…I’ve never turned something out so quickly.

‘Perfect World’ is the title.

Now, there is work left to do.

I have to read it a few times, and rewrite it as well, but I don’t know how extensive that will be.

I need to get my fellow artists involved who help turn my words into a finished product, and most of all, I have to say farewell to my characters.

Which is the absolute worst!

They kept me great company for a little while.

And I know, there’s a darkness coming because whenever I finish something, I get down.

Part of that is the:

“What’s next?”

And part of it is just a loss of adrenaline.

Jill and Anna and Ben and Lonnie and Uncle Rico and Robert are out of my life.

Sad!

And I know I should take a break, and not worry about moving on so quickly.

In a perfect world, I’d be fired up about it, but that’s not how this works.

I’ve been doing it long enough to know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spicy!!!

Ten Years Burning Down the Road

Heart Heavy