October Already!
Ran into a guy today who ‘couldn’t believe it’s October.’
“What did you expect would come after September?” I asked.
“I know!” He said. “But life flies on by.”
Don’t I know it.
October 1, 1997 was a day I’ll never forget because a steel erector company I worked for tipped a crane over that day.
Thankfully no one was injured - which was an absolute miracle - but it was a very bad accident.
I spent about a week at the site, dealing with OSHA and a whole bunch of men who remain friends to this day.
And with memories it’s insane how much can be recalled about nearly every minute of the day.
I was 32 years old.
Had been married for just about 5 months!
I blinked.
And all those years passed on by.
As I thought about it this October 1st I had a desire to call the company safety guy…
…I would frequently call him and say, ‘Happy Anniversary’ and he would laugh.
He passed away a couple of years ago…
…and I missed being able to make the call this year.
And with memories, it seems that it couldn’t possibly be that 29 years have passed.
And now, thinking ahead…
…I’ll be 90 in 29 more!
Doesn’t seem possible…
…and damn…
…did I do enough in those 29 years?
Time and distance turned the event into a memory that is now a good one.
The company has been successful.
I made a lot of friends.
Learned a lot.
And no one was hurt.
October has arrived.
Comments