Fast Car

Read that Tracy Chapman won an award for the song ‘Fast Car’ some 35 years after she released it.

Someone named Luke Combs re-did the song and also hit number one.

I’m happy about it, and have listened to the Combs version, but kind of don’t understand how he made a hit out of it.

When Chapman sang it you FELT the pain of a young girl trying to save her Dad, who drinks too much and has given up on life. 

The verse where Chapman sings, “Your arm felt nice wrapped my shoulder, and I had a feeling that I  belonged.”

Powerful!

I’m a big Tracy Chapman fan - I wish she’d put out more music - I have all her songs on my phone.

In fact, back in the late 80’s I was in a bar with my brother, John, and I wanted him to hear the record. I played the entire record on the bar jukebox.

The bartender unplugged it!

“Hey! She’s an awesome writer!” I yelled.

“We aren’t listening to the words!” He answered.

But I have, for years.

For the uninitiated, download:

Fast Car

Sub city 

Baby Can I Hold You.

I Would Sing For You.

All are simply wonderful.

And, Tracy, if you’re out there..

…I need new music!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spicy!!!

Ten Years Burning Down the Road

Heart Heavy