The Waiting if the Hardest Part

On Thursday afternoon I called for Oliver:

“You want to play ball?”

My poor dog had heard so much about the coming snow that he probably (if he were able) would’ve said:

“Where’s the snow?”

I ran into guys on the jobs on Thursday who’d already seen the first snowfall.

The announcers mentioned something about the snow arriving at 4:00. Then it was moved to 7:00. Finally, I heard that it would be an overnight event.

The Sunday Bills game was moved.

Job after job mentioned that Friday would be a dead day.

Two feet, three feet, four feet, six feet.

No one was talking about anything that we’d be able to shovel and go.

So, I started talking myself into not worrying about the schedule that I’d set for myself at the start of the week.

I wasn’t going to finish everything I wanted to accomplish.

Not my fault.

Nothing I can do.

But the longer it took for the snow to arrive, the more anxious I became.

I’m not quite sure how bad this will be, but we have a lot of food in the house.

We have bread, milk and a big pot of chili.

Plenty of toilet paper too.

But to sum it all up let’s cut to a scene from around 10:30 on Thursday morning.

I was walking across a site that will eventually be home to huge apartment complexes.

The wind kicked up and I felt it…

…in the center of my bare forehead.

“F***ing Mother F***!” I screamed.

I didn’t think there was anyone within a hundred yards of me…

…but I heard laughter.

“I just screamed the same exact thing,” a young kid said.

He was carrying a shovel and a pick. That poor bastard was digging a hole.

Wind blowing, ice cold.

“Why do we live here?” He asked.

How bad will it get?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spicy!!!

Ten Years Burning Down the Road

Heart Heavy