Melkster

Over the last month or so, Melky has started to slide a bit.

She’s 14 and a half years old and even though we believed that she’d be here forever...

...I left for a three-day trip wondering if she’d be here when I got back.

When I called home I pretended to be interested in all the daily news but couldn’t wait to ask about Melky.

“She’s lost a lot of weight and she’s struggling to sleep.”

Damn.

I don’t want her to suffer at all. I spent a few hours driving through Kansas and I have it plenty of thought.

If this is it...

...well, it would be horrible, but...

I got in the house around 10:00.

The Melkster was fast asleep. Which was a sign because she usually would jump straight up.

I shook her awake.

And that 3-second moment was great.

I could see how happy she was.

During the day on Friday, she followed me.

She ate a lot.

Hung out in the backyard with Miller and Paris.

“That’s so weird,” Sam said. “She doesn’t lift her head up when you’re gone. Now, she’s alive again.”

It was a good day.

We are all day-to-day.

Melky is running out of time, but she’s going to have a good day every day from here on out.

And steak.

She’s gonna’ have some steak between now and then.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spicy!!!

Ten Years Burning Down the Road

Heart Heavy