A Counting On a Miracle Selection - A Lesson

There will come a time when I will pick up one of my old books and try reading it from cover-to-cover.

I don't know if it's possible.

Yet the other night I was searching through an old drawer and I found the black notebook I used for notes while writing Counting on a Miracle. All of those notebooks are around here somewhere along with journals back to the early 80's.

Someone please burn 'em when I'm gone.

Yet I found this story that I included in the book.

It speaks for itself.


I had been to the grocery store three times on that Saturday. Yet, just after dinner, Kathy informed me that we were out of formula for Sam. I complained about it for a few moments, but eventually I decided that I would return the beer and pop cans that had accumulated in the basement. If I had to go to the store again, I might as well make it a productive trip.

I pulled into the parking lot of the grocery store. It had been a bright, sunshine-filled day and the evening sky was bright orange. I had opened the latch on the back gate of my truck and had begun putting the cans into a cart when I heard what sounded like an animal grunt coming from the car right next to me. The passenger side window came down, and a huge man grunted again. I turned to him when I realized that he was trying to say hello.

“Hi,” I said.

“Beer cans?” he answered.

Immediately I realized that the man was mentally ill. I wondered about the person that had driven him to the store. How could they just leave him sitting in the parking lot?

“Yeah, I got a few beer cans,” I said. “We had a party.”

“I used to like Beck’s beer,” he said.

It was a strange comment, but I just let it pass. How did he know about Beck’s beer?

“You got pop cans too,” he said.

“The kids like pop.”

“How many kids you got?”

The last thing I needed was a long conversation, but something made me stay and talk.

“Three boys,” I said.

He laughed real hard and smacked his hand on the side door panel.

“I have five boys,” he said. “Always remember to love your kids.”

Now, I was really intrigued. I moved closer to him. “My name is Cliff.”

“I’m Fred,” he said. “Do you work at the Ford plant?”

“No,” I said.

“I used too,” he said. “How old are you?”

“Thirty-six,” I answered.

Fred looked as if he were trying to figure something out. His face went blank as he searched for the words to his next sentence.

“I was thirty-nine when I had my stroke,” he said.

My heart dropped into my stomach. I considered his five children and the tragic turn of events that shaped the remainder of his days.

“I used to make a lot of money,” he said. “Do you make a lot of money?”

I noticed the approach of Fred’s wife from clear across the parking lot. She was already apologizing for her husband, but I waved her off.

“Fred and I are just catching up a little,” I said.

I reached into the car and shook Fred’s hand.

“It was a beautiful day, wasn’t it?” Fred asked.

I wanted to tell him that he had made it a little bit better for me, but his pretty wife was sliding into the driver’s side, still apologizing for him.

“Remember what I said about those boys of yours,” Fred said.

I watched their car move towards the exit. Fred’s eyes never left me, and I stood outside the store watching him, a cart filled with empty cans right in front of me. Why had he asked me if I made a lot of money? How come he kept mentioning loving my children?

Was he a walking, talking lesson?

Comments

Tammie Lewis said…
I have read your blog for a couple of years now....can't even remember how I stumbled on it...but I really enjoy your writing. Today I was very moved...very touched. Would love to know what ever happened to Fred as much as I'm sure you do.
Tammie
Cliff Fazzolari said…
Thanks for reading along, Tammie. I like to believe Fred is doing just fine. He's most likely living each day to the fullest.

Popular posts from this blog

Spicy!!!

Ten Years Burning Down the Road

Heart Heavy