Roll Me Away

In a complete 180, I found myself driving home this afternoon in a sky that was alive with the brilliant sunshine of a bright sun. There were just enough clouds to give me a break now and again, but the orange circle was a welcome sight, even if I had to move my visor about thirty times.

As I attacked the miles, I went to the world's second greatest invention (the I-Pod) so that I could listen to the world's greatest invention (Rock and Roll).

I only had one rule - it had to be a loud song that had wailing guitars, banging drums, and loud vocals.

I know it was a Springsteen song that got me going - Real World - but then on to Mellencamp - Crumblin' Down - through Aldo Nova's Fantasy - The Stones - Little T&A and Tumbling Dice - McCartney with Band on the Run - Don Henley - The Boys of Summer. The Who with Bargain.

Loud, louder, loudest. The speakers were shaking. I can never turn it all the way up with Kathy and the boys in the car.

I was a moving, shaking, rattling, 1970's and 1980's hit wagon.

My favorite Bob Seger song followed after Tumbling Dice - Roll Me Away.

I got tired of my own voice, Seger wailed.

The sun was riding high. It was lucky that I had the cruise control on or I would have smashed the pedal.

I feel a little lost, been double-crossed, sick of what's wrong and what's right.

Why did Seger pretty much stop making music?

I was singing along word for word. The drenching rains of yesterday long forgotten as I shifted the visor once more. The lady in the next car saw me singing and started to laugh.

I stood alone on a mountain top staring out at the great divide. I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flying and my soul began to rise and pretty soon my heart was singing, Roll me Away won't you roll me away tonight.

I was beating my hand off the steering wheel knowing the next verse before Seger even sang it. It was the exact verse that I was looking forward to hearing and it is the pure pleasure behind a well-written song and rock and roll.

I gotta' keep rolling, gotta' keep riding, gotta' keep searching until I find what's right. Roll me Away.

(Incidentally, that's E-Street Band Member Roy Bittan on piano)

Brilliant song. Brilliant sunshine. Chased away the drenching rain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spicy!!!

Ten Years Burning Down the Road

Heart Heavy