Give Me a Freaking Break!

Last year, in April, I sat on a beach in Florida and lectured myself about taking time out to catch my breath. The company I work for provides me with vacation time, but in past years of employment, I never took it. Last year was the exception and I found that being away was necessary. So, I even took a couple of more days in August.

And here we are nearing the end of May and I haven't done what I said I was going to do. August to May is a long stretch without days off during the week. Physically shot. Mentally drained. Tired of being tired.

A couple of months ago I picked the last week in May as a week off, and I'm three days away from freedom and I'm becoming hesitant.

Can the world spin without my contribution for a week?

Can I really just line up golf partners and play without thought of who needs me to do what?

Is it possible to sleep past 5:30 AM.

"You're doing it!" my wife said this morning. "I don't want to hear your excuses."

She lives here. She knows I need it.

"We'll see what happens," is all I keep saying.

Yet I heard about people going on cruises and heading off to Vegas for a long weekend. I listen to stories about guys who set up their schedule for a month long break, and I know a few school teachers who revitalize for three freaking months.

This can happen, right?

There are friends of mine that can free up a day to watch me hack, drink, and swear my way around a golf course, aren't there?

I'm telling you, I'll be better for it.

Please just give me a freaking break!

Chances are it'll rain all week.

Comments

pcorwin said…
Hey Buddy.. Enjoy your week. I'm off too. 5 days in Florida. The place won't be the same without us.
Cliff Fazzolari said…
Have a great time, Pat. Whenever someone tells me they're going on vacation I always say, "Vacation from what?" I think of George Costanza telling Seinfeld that he was going on vacation and Seinfeld yelling, "You're unemployed!"

Popular posts from this blog

Spicy!!!

Ten Years Burning Down the Road

Heart Heavy