Perpetual Ache

My sister saw Bruce in Washington and he sang Racing in the Street.

Whenever I think of that song one lyric sticks in my head - Some guys just give up living and start dying little by little, piece by piece.

I've lived my entire life trying not to be like that. I find that so sad. Never, ever thought I'd consider that could ever happen. Yet, life is a cruel bitch, isn't it? And it can happen.

Piece by piece. Little by little.

It's so easy to say that the pieces can be picked up and be re-assembled into something less, but something still significant. I'm certainly trying to do that, but will everyone? Probably not. And that's a 'probably not' that really hurts.

It's easy to try and focus on the love in life - thankfully, I'm surrounded by love -some people certainly aren't. Some people who have love sitting right in front of them, decide to take another route.

In any regard, there is a perpetual ache.

Today, I decided to punish a body that is not use to physical punishment. I moved about seventeen million pounds of stone that was in our rose beds (I hear you, Palmer: 'I told you a million times not to exaggerate'), but I did it intentionally, to see what it brought me.

It brought me a sore back. It brought me a memory a minute. It brought me a realization about what happened to the best friend I will ever have - and it brought it to me in twenty second time lapses. I was sweating, I was panting,and I was remembering.

No one loved Bruce more than my brother - not even me - and he was whispering in my ear - "Don't die little by little, or piece by piece."

Live.

Live.

Live.

Live.

And still...drink in hand...perpetual ache.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spicy!!!

Ten Years Burning Down the Road

Heart Heavy