Man Versus Woman

We all know there is a real, true battle that is fought in this great nation on a daily basis. The idea for this blog came off of my post about Michael Phelps - a great college friend of mine responded saying that I should learn to relax and enjoy life a little - "Men get grouchy as they grow older," she wrote.

I must confess that I do get grouchy - I know my friend's husband too - and I know why he gets grouchy.

The thing is - I did respond - "Women are the carriers for grouchiness," I explained. "Men like to sit around and think about all of the golf they're missing, all the beer they've left undrank while they develop dish-pan hands, and fold the laundry."

I thoroughly enjoy sparring with my wife, my sisters, my sisters-in-law, and my old college friends about the great differences between men and women. Here are the distinct differences as I see them.

1). Talking about our day. I get up, go to work, come home from work, and try to read the paper - my wife says - "How was your day?" I say - "Great! and go back to the box scores.

My wife gets up, goes to work, comes home from work - and if I have the misfortune of asking her how her day was - she talks about her day until it's time to return to work.

2). Feelings- I'm not quite sure what it would take to hurt my feelings. I've never given it much thought. I can hurt my wife's feelings with one miss-directed comment about how we need to clean up a specific room.

3). Keeping an eye on the future. My wife has already scouted colleges for our 15-year old. She thinks about where we'll live when we retire, and how often she's going to babysit the grandchildren. When she asks me about the future - I usually answer with something about hoping that I'll have pasta again before the weekend.

4). Intimacy - women like to equate intimacy with love and security. Mention intimacy to a male and there is only one vision that enters the mind - I'm all for intimacy on a daily basis, by the way.

Anyhow - this blog is for my good friend - and her continued inability to understand the grouchy nature of men as we age. Always remember who is carrying this disease and presenting it to us on a daily basis.

Comments

Anonymous said…
AMEN brother! Of course with out them we'd all be dead by 50.

Popular posts from this blog

Spicy!!!

Ten Years Burning Down the Road

Heart Heavy