Yankee Stadium - The Final Year


On Friday night I made my annual trip to Yankee Stadium. It is the final year for the old place as the new stadium lurks across the street. Fortunately, I sat eleven rows in, off of 3rd base and watched the Yanks pound out a win. Life doesn't get much better - but it struck me how much of a role sports plays in our society, and although I love baseball and the Yankees, it's a tad disconcerting.


I didn't pay the $180 for the ticket. I was invited as part of a business trip. But it still shocked me to understand what is happening. I remember seeing games in Baltimore back in 1991. A buddy of mine and I would hang out for $5 per game - we'd sit in the worst seats in the place and drink beer and laugh.


17 years ago you could grab a night out for less than $20 - now - $20 wouldn't get you a spot at the peephole on the fence that lines the outside of the stadium.


Friday night, beers were going for $8.50. A hot dog was $6. One of those foam fingers would set you back $10.


One player on the Yankees - Jason Giambi strolled to the plate - he is currently hitting .150 with five homers and 13 RBI's - he's making $21 million dollars this year. He went 0 for 3 with 2 strikeouts. I could go 0 for 3 with three strikeouts for 20 million less per year - just put me in coach!


There were a ton of kids there - the Yanks season attendance will be over 4 million this year - where do the people get the $ to sit in those seats all year long?


I took a bunch of photos and thought about the first time I sat at the stadium - it was back in the mid-80's and the Yankees weren't very good. Yet my buddy and I rode the subway and watched my boyhood idol, Don Mattingly win the game in the late innings. We paid $15 for our seats behind home plate.


Can't wait to get to the new digs next year - I might have to take out a 2nd mortgage to see the game.



Comments

Anonymous said…
It must be cheaper if you don't spend $300 on beer every game. The amount of beer you drink alone could get me seasons to the Bills.

Popular posts from this blog

Spicy!!!

Ten Years Burning Down the Road

Heart Heavy